Skip to main content

Top 10 Useful Things To Survive in College


Being an Engineering student for four years with only three girls in my batch rest were boys. I had a few struggles while graduating. When I recall that Time I wish someone had told me these things before and I could have done better. Here are the Top 10 things that you must do in college to avoid those struggles which I had to go through.

Number 1:- This is first and foremost, People might seem cold.

When I went to college. On my first day, I came back home and I cried. I just did not like the cold vibes in general as I was a really happy kid in my school who would make jokes etc. But when we go to college, the seniors that we see around us are mature now and know the bitter truth of the world. Before college, we would go to a local school where kids are pretty much only from that area, so they don’t feel like strangers. But when I came to college I realized that there is a bigger world out there. People come from different backgrounds and have different natures. It took a while for me to understand that.

Number 2:- Try to understand how processes work in your college and ask for help whenever needed

You might need to deal with Student Resource Centre regarding which courses you don’t want to take. Similarly, there might be a time when you need to talk to your department’s HOD. Sometimes students are afraid to talk regarding their queries and don’t discuss them with their Teachers or discuss them with the concerned Person for certain reasons like they might not help him out or what If I am asking the wrong person or maybe I am not following the procedure properly etc. But my point is don’t be scared as once you stop reaching people for your queries this becomes your habit and can affect you very badly during your studies as well because then stop asking teachers for help out of habit even If You are facing any problems in your course.

Number 3:- Be a smart Worker rather than Hard Worker

When I was in college I would be on campus from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm. I would take classes and hardly had breaks in between especially in the first two semesters, as our university had made it compulsory to take 6 courses per semester in the first two semesters. I hated staying in college for such long hours.  I didn’t like studying in Library as I was the only child and loved studying in my room instead. My home was near my college, so I would take up all the Assignments and work at home. I was tutoring kids from 7 pm to 9 pm. After 9, I would have dinner and do my studies. It was exhausting. I never enjoyed Assignments this way. As I had sleep deprivation issues etc. Also, the friends that I hung out with on campus would never let me study alone. Even If I did have a break, they would come and we would have a chat, etc. so that was another factor that I was not studying smartly.

Never go for more courses per semester like 6 courses, always go for fewer courses, so you have less burden and you can understand your concepts in a better way. In case University has made it compulsory etc. talk to the Administration that you will take those two extra courses in the summer semester. Also, try to utilize your breaks as much as you can so you don’t have to study late and compromise your sleep.

Number 4:- Smart kids will make it hard for you to catchup

In class, smart kids will be Teacher’s favorite as they will be picking Concepts faster and answering more quickly. It’s okay but this can create a gap between Teachers and the Average student or even more for those who are usually not enthusiastic. What happens is that Teacher will go with the pace of smart kids in class and the average student will feel lagged in terms of concept. If you are one of those average kids just like me then don’t let it happen and talk to your Teacher that he/she is going too fast and needs to slow down. This will ease your life.

Number 5:- Try to understand concepts first but put more effort into practical work

In my first semester in college, we studied basic electronics we had an understanding of series and parallel circuits, etc. But then I think I always focused more on theory back then.  Focusing on Theory is great but practical work is way more important & the students should focus more on staying in the Campus Labs like helping Lab In-charge with organizing their equipment and helping them out with day-to-day activities there whenever possible. This sort of pushes you more into practical work and you develop more interest.

Number 6:- It’s ok to stay isolated sometimes if you find it peaceful

I was a student who had only a few friends in college but I always saved myself from College Drama. I did not gossip as I never enjoyed gossiping. I would never say bad comments behind anyone’s back. This helped me go through my College Life without any Drama. It saved me from unnecessary debates etc. if my friends were not around. I would still be alone as I liked being alone with myself. Everyone doesn’t need to follow it as everyone has their personality but try being quieter and don’t interfere in other people’s business as it can be very helpful and can save from unnecessary fights etc.

Number 7:- Take care of your health, Eat and Drink on time

This was so hard back then as I was the person who would focus only on the Classes etc. and ignore my basic needs. This was quite challenging as I have a bad habit of not caring for myself and eventually, I would dehydrate, etc. quite often which was exhausting, so health comes first.

Number 8:- Keep away from Negativity and Overthinking

Everyone says that Negativity and Overthinking are bad for your health. But it’s really hard to get out of it, once we get stuck in the habit of doing that. The most common reason for feeling negative and overthinking is being “Impatience”. Two things that save us from Negativity and Overthinking are that we learn to be Patience and make Meditation part of everyday life. Adapt these two things and it will be really helpful.

Number 9:- Have faith in God

Faith is Important. Have faith in God. You can only try your best. But then there is something we can forget and that is “fate”. So have faith in God and hope that everything will be alright and don’t be hard on yourself as it will only burden you and won’t be any helpful.

Number 10:- Don’t miss Family Gatherings & Weddings to make your studies the center of your world

We are humans and we all have obligations and rights. You should give importance to studies and not waste time but missing family gatherings etc. is not going to save any time except giving you regrets for the rest of your life. Don’t Jam your whole life just to focus on your studies. You have to keep everything going in your life and that is how a good and responsible person lives and it gives you inner satisfaction.

These are the “Top 10 things” that you should keep in mind and give your best. This way, you will not only love your College Life but will also have a balanced personal life full of Gratitude and Inner peace. I wish everyone to have a great journey as a college student as these four years will help in “Reshaping” and “Rebuilding” your character.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pakistan's Northern Areas

   Introduction to Pakistan's Northern Areas T he northern areas of Pakistan are a beautiful and diverse region. The landscape varies from snow-capped mountain peaks to lush valleys and exotic animals like the markhor, ibex and urial. There are also many historical sites including Buddhist monasteries, Hindu temples and forts dating back thousands of years. History and Culture The history of the Northern Areas begins with the Indus Valley Civilization, which was one of the world's first civilizations. It existed from 2600 BC to 1900 BC and covered an area that included parts of modern-day Pakistan, India and Afghanistan. The people who lived there were called Harappans because they built their cities at sites with springs or wells (Hara). The first known invaders were Alexander's troops in 327 BC; they conquered parts of Punjab but couldn't conquer these mountains because they were too difficult to pass through. Next came Mahmud Ghaznavi who invaded Punjab in 1001 AD an

Imran Khan's Ehsas Program

 Imran Khan's Ehsas Program I mran Khan, the Prime Minister of Pakistan, launched the Ehsaas Program in March 2019 to address the issues of poverty, hunger, and inequality in the country. The program has been hailed as a significant step towards improving the lives of the most vulnerable people in Pakistan. The Ehsaas Program is a comprehensive social protection initiative that aims to provide a safety net for the poor and marginalized sections of society. The program includes multiple initiatives that target different areas of need. Some of the key initiatives of the Ehsaas Program are: Cash Transfer Program: One of the primary components of the Ehsaas Program is the cash transfer program, which provides financial assistance to poor families. The program aims to provide support to around 7 million households across the country. The cash transfer program provides a monthly stipend to eligible families to help them meet their basic needs. 2.   Kifalat Program:   The Kifalat Program

Lahore Street Food

  Lahore , the cultural capital of Pakistan, is famous for its delectable street food. It is a foodie's paradise with something to offer for everyone. The city's rich culinary heritage can be seen in the variety of dishes, spices, and flavors used in its street food. From savory snacks to sweet desserts, Lahore street food is sure to tantalize your taste buds and leave you craving for more. One of the most popular street foods in Lahore is the spicy and tangy chaat. Chaat is a savory snack made with a variety of ingredients, such as boiled chickpeas, potatoes, lentil dumplings, and samosas. The mixture is then topped with yogurt, tamarind chutney, and a variety of spices, including cumin, coriander, and chili powder. The dish is garnished with crispy fried noodles, chopped onions, and coriander leaves, which add a refreshing taste to the chaat.   Another popular street food in Lahore is the Lahori fish fry. This mouth-watering dish features crispy fried fish, marinated in a ble